Apr 13, 2015
• 3-5 lb boneless pork shoulder roast, butterflied
• 1/3 to 1/2 cup pesto, homemade or jarred
• 1/4 cup smoked Provolone regular works also
• 1/4 cup fresh Mozzarella sliced & cut in pieces
• 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
• 1/4 cup each, chopped fresh parsley, rosemary & thyme
• 2 fresh bay leaves
• 1 large, 2 small fennel bulb w/ fronds
• 1 large sweet yellow onion
• 8-10 garlic cloves, smashed, skins removed
• kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
• 2 cups white wine
• 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 large "Cookin' Bag"
• 4 or 5 lengths of cotton string long enough to tie tightly around roast
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Open bag and place in roasting pan. Slice onion, fennel bulb and half the fronds and place in bag with half the garlic, bay leaves and sprinkle flour and approximately 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
Lay strings out on work surface at intervals depending on length of meat; lay roast out on string, sprinkle w/ salt and pepper and spread pesto on meat. Place half the garlic cloves on, add all herbs, including some of the fennel fronds, and press lightly into meat. Put cheese on top of herbs and roll meat like a jelly roll and tightly tie middle string, and all other strings around roast. Tie 1 string around roast lengthwise.
Place roast in bag on top of bed of onion, fennel and garlic and pour in wine and broth.
Twist bag and secure w/tie provided in box. Slit bag 4 or 5 times with knife tip to vent.
Roast for 1 hour at 450, reduce oven to 325 degrees and continue roasting for 3 more hours. Let cool in bag. Place chunks of roast and all contents of bag, except the bay leaves,
In stand mixer and blend with paddle attachment until fairly finely shredded and spreadable. Serve with baguette slices, crackers, or crudités
Makes approximately 4-6 cups.